Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Garden Eels and Pufferfish.

Today we did two dives. The first was a deep dive (second time to 100 feet!) and the second was to a small wreck/a navigation dive. Amy's sisters started their Advanced Open Water Scuba course today, so they had to do some compass work on the second dive for that. The rest of us got to play around underwater while we waited. I got to practice my bubble rings, which are getting better every dive!

Sarah and Emily practicing navigation.

Emily doing a "James Bond Roll" into the water.
Aaaaand she's upside down...
Look at my awesome bubble ring!!

We saw a ton of fish today on our dives, but three of animals we saw really caught my eye.

1. A baby trunkfish! These two pictures are of an adult trunkfish:



See the funky shape? In a Fish ID book, you'd find him under "Odd-Shaped Fishes." They are nearly triangular shaped and just make you want to laugh as they whiz by. However cool the adults may be, the babies are cooler. We didn't get a picture of the one we saw today (he went and hid), but I found this picture online so you can get an idea of just how awesome these little fish are:

http://livingoncaicos.blogspot.com/2009/08/juvenile-smooth-trunkfish.html 
Isn't just the cutest thing you've ever seen? At this stage, they are roughly the size of a marble and tend to bounce around, rather than swim. You can barely see their little fins!

2. The other day when I Skyped home, my brother asked me if there were any Garden Eels around Utila. I told him I hadn't seen any, so I wasn't sure. I can now answer that question. Yes, yes we do. On today's dive we came across several groups of Brown Garden Eels (perhaps 250 eels total?).Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of my own again because Amy's camera won't take pictures below about 40ft.

3. As we were working our way up on the second dive, Amy suddenly starts pointing underneath a coral ledge. Just hanging out there was the biggest pufferfish I had ever seen! It was easily a foot long. (the picture I managed to take of this beauty does not do its size justice!)

Awesome, giant pufferfish

No comments:

Post a Comment