Thursday, October 18, 2012

Copán Ruinas: Day 1

Between the two research projects that I am interning on here in Honduras, I get to take a week of vacation. So I decided to go to Copán Ruinas for a few days. I took a bus to San Pedro Sula and then another to Copán. It is about an eight hour trip, but as the bus left at 5:45 am, I got to Copán in the early afternoon.

Not wanting to waste any time, I found something to do as soon as I checked into my hotel. I went on a trail ride up into the mountains above Copán to a Maya village in the hills. This village has its own dialect and a special elementary school that teaches in their language. The kids I spoke with knew at least some Spanish as well. 
My (very) small horse. Her name is Princessa and don't be fooled by her size--she is more than up for the job of carrying a tall gringa up the mountain. 

The Copán Ruins can be seen in the very center of this picture, across the river.

An artisan weaving room. The women of this village weave cloth to sell to fund the village school.


I am staying in a very nice little hotel here on the edge of town called "Casa de Café." It has a wonderful little garden and they make a great breakfast. It is nice and quite most of the time because of its distance from the city center. The exception appears to be when there is a national fútbol game on, but that's another story.

The view from the garden along with the end of almost every street in Copán.

Casa de Café.
Copán is a beautiful city and I haven't gotten to explore all of it yet. There is plenty to keep one busy for quite a few days! I plan to go to a couple of famous Maya ruins as well as a bird sanctuary while I'm here, plus take a little time to relax and enjoy having a regular sleep cycle with no work to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment